Wednesday 20 July 2011

Why Chamberlain isn't ready for the Premiership

Alex Chamberlain has insisted he is ready to step up to the Premier League this season.

The 17-year-old impressed for Southampton in League One last season, helping his side gain automatic promotion to the Championship. However, very few players have successfully made the step up from the third tier to the Premier League.

Speaking to The Sun, Chamberlain said: "I've heard Arsenal are in for me and to join a top-four club is what I hope for.

"When the bus comes along, you have to jump on it and make the most of your opportunities. It's not every day you get a chance like that. I believe in my own ability and that I have what it takes to play in the Premier League.

"I've been at Southampton since I was seven and enjoyed every minute of it. They've brought me up in a really good way. The fans and the manager have been great and the club have made me what I am today.

"But I feel it's time for the next step. The way I see it, the Premier League is where I aspire to play. You aren't at the top of the game until you get there.

"I could spend a year in the Championship and, though this might sound negative, I could get injured and that opportunity might be lost. The next year another young star could come through and the opening might not come around again."

In 2010, Sol Campbell moved from Notts County to Arsenal. Although past his best, the former England and Tottenham star looked off the pace - only making 11 appearances on his return to the Gunners.

Liverpool snapped up highly-rated Jonjo Shelvey from Charlton. Since his arrival at Anfield a year ago the youngster has only featured 15 times for the Reds. Shelvey is still young, but Chamberlain has insisted he is ready to play Premier League football.

However, even Theo Walcott and Gareth Bale found it hard to break into top teams, and they had proven themselves in the Championship.

Chamberlain is a fantastic prospect for any top Premier League club. However, it seems an almighty risk to sign the 17-year-old based on ten goals in League One. The youngster will play for a big team, but he surely isn't ready to make the leap just yet.

Both Gareth Bale and Theo Walcott stood out in the Championship, earning them big moves to Tottenham and Arsenal respectively. If Chamberlain can prove himself this season, there is no reason why he will not feature in a Premier League squad in the following season.

However, if Chamberlain was to make the big move this summer, he would be lucky to find himself on the bench at Arsenal. The Gunners have several youngsters who fancy breaking into the first team. If Chamberlain can stand out in the Championship, he will stand head and shoulders above Arsenal's many talented youngsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment