Saturday 23 July 2011

Saints sign winger De Ridder

Southampton have signed Belgian winger Steve De Ridder from Dutch side De Graafschap for an undisclosed fee.

The 24-year-old can play on either flank and could be a fitting replacement, should Alex Chamberlain leave St Mary's. Although Chamberlain featured during the Markus Liebherr Memorial Cup, the youngster made public his wish to leave the club. Chamberlain was fined two weeks wages for his comments, but this has only added to speculation he is to leave the club.

De Ridder scored 12 times for De Graafschap and bagged 22 goals during a loan spell at Belgian second tier side Hamme. He is quick, skillful and a great crosser of the ball.

The new signing said: "I have got a great first impression about this Club, I have already been treated so well since I arrived and it has given me a lot of confidence. I hope to pay that back on the field.

"As soon as I arrived here I was convinced that this was the right move, this is a big adventure for me and I am looking forward to it. The Chairman showed me a video all about the Club and I was sold straight away.

"I played with Jan-Paul Saeijs in Holland and he told me that when he was here it was the best time of his life, so I am curious about what is in store for me."

Check out some of De Ridder's fantastic goals below.


No comments:

Post a Comment